Help! I need to remodel my kitchen (or bathroom) but I don’t know where to start!
The first thing to do is to think about the style of kitchen or bathroom you’d like – magazines, online resources and local shops can be a useful guide to get you started. You’ll need to consider the style of your home, the other rooms in the house and your budget. Take a look at the checklists on this site which will give you a guide to many of the things you need to think about. The following advice may also be helpful:
- Warranty – do check what, if any, warranties are offered. Atkinson’s Innovative Interiors offers a warranty on materials and workmanship. Well-made kitchens have no major warranty problems.
- Product Choice – do be as well informed as possible on product choice and finish. Be sure you are choosing the best product for your circumstances – for example if you have a young family, don’t choose a lacquer paint finish for cabinet doors! General wear and tear, abuse and neglect are not covered by any warranty.
- Availability – Responsible suppliers should tell you about all the choices available rather than solely promoting in-house lines. Don't get stuck with a limited range of colours or products that may not suit your budget.
- Finance – Do check the financial and payment terms required. Deposits are usually required by kitchen suppliers. These are used to secure your commitment to the job and to pay for large outsourced items such as bench tops. Do compare quotes carefully and be wary if one quote is far lower than others – struggling suppliers may discount heavily to attract business or it might exclude certain items.
- Quality – Do make enquiries regarding the materials being used. Locally manufactured materials are made to withstand the New Zealand conditions and to a high standard that meets all regulatory requirements.
- Hardware – Do ensure that hardware comes with a warranty and that replacement hinges and drawer runners are readily available. Different brands are not interchangeable.
- Manufacture – Do check where your kitchen is to be made and ensure it is manufactured locally. Do ask if you may come and check on progress. Don’t accept a kitchen made in an alternative location. It is more difficult to monitor progress and can make any after sales maintenance required much more difficult.
What is a realistic budget for a kitchen renovation?
For most of us, the kitchen is the heart of the home. It's one of the most frequently used areas of the house and an area where we often host visitors. It's worth investing in the best quality you can possibly afford for an area that you'll be spending so much time in every day.
In terms of cost, there are many variables to consider such as the size of your kitchen, the type of materials you want to use and how many appliances you already have and want to keep.
One very rough 'rule of thumb' is that you should spend between 5 to 15% of your home's total value on a kitchen re-model. With the average house value in Nelson-Tasman now sitting at around $555,000*, 5 to 15% would equate to somewhere between $27,000 - $83,000 for an 'average' home.
We have worked on projects ranging from $10,000 to over $300,000. Somewhere around $30,000 – $50,000 is probably the average for a medium-sized kitchen renovation.
* average house value in Nelson-Tasman as at the end of 2017, according to House Price Index from Quotable Value.
What’s the process once I contact you?
Kelvin will meet with you either on site or at the workshop to discuss your plans. A free, no-obligation estimate will be provided and you can make a decision about whether you wish to proceed to the next stage. Once you’ve decided you want to go ahead, the next step would be to meet you on site, take measurements, agree on a timeframe and prepare a more detailed quote and drawings and source any samples required. A 30 percent deposit is required before work gets underway.
You look like a small company – can you also handle large-scale projects?
Yes – Atkinson’s Innovative Interiors has established relationships with other contractors and works with them on larger-scale jobs. Work is managed by Atkinson’s Innovative Interiors to our exacting standards.
Can you manage the whole process, including liaising with contractors?
Yes, absolutely – we do this all the time for many of our clients who are busy, or who simply don’t want the hassle of project managing a number of different sub-contractors.
Can you source samples of different products for me?
Yes – we have a lot of different product samples available in our workshop and we can also source other product samples on request. Make sure you also check out the Links section on this website – many of the companies will provide you with samples on request and of course local shops can also do this for you.
What are some ways I can save $$ without compromising on the look?
Great question and we are happy to provide individual advice to suit your needs. However this is best done in person, so please give us a call.
I am interested in using sustainable materials - can you provide advice on this?
Yes, absolutely. There are some great new products available which we can provide advice on. There is also information available on the Links section of our website.
Do you also work on caravans, motorhomes or boats?
Yes, we regularly work on customised cabinetry for caravans, motorhomes and boats. We are specialists in crafting bespoke cabinetry for small spaces.